TheraCare’s Therapy Services
TheraCare partners with clients and families to provide therapy in a safe, caring environment with a focus on improving quality of life and confidence.
We follow an individualized approach to therapy that is designed to meet the needs of individuals of all ages. Our timely and effective services include up-to-date therapy techniques and modalities
Professional Therapy Services Offered
Speech Therapy Services
Our skilled speech therapists provide treatment for:
- Speech articulation
- Apraxia of speech
- Language skills
- Social skills
- Auditory Processing Disorder
Occupational Therapy Services
Our skilled occupational therapists provide treatment for:
Self help skills
Visual perception skills
Physical Therapy Services
Our skilled physical therapists provide treatment for:
- Decreased strength
- Poor endurance
- Sports injuries
- Limited mobility
- Poor balance and coordination deficits
- Toe walking
- Gross motor skills
Physical therapists can also recommend equipment, such as orthotics, gait trainers, and wheelchairs.
Integrated Learning Systems
TheraCare Outpatient Services currently has staff trained and qualified in offering therapeutic skilled intervention for both speech and occupational therapy with the Integrated Listening Systems (iLs).
iLs is a listening system which integrates music, movement, and language for the purpose of improving brain function. This system provides brain/body integration in which through the series of music and movement patterns neuro pathways are built.
This occurs through our brain's ability to change in response to stimulation, also known as “neuroplasticity”. Neural connections are strengthened and new connections are established through repeated sessions of multi-sensory input.
TheraCare’s Customized Approach
Each iLs program is customized to meet the needs of your child and to progress your child towards meeting their client centered goals in therapy. Research as identified for optimal outcomes, the iLs program is utilized 3-5x per week. This program can be completed both in the clinic or purchased individually to be utilized at home with supervision from your therapist.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication Services
TheraCare is an approved Medicaid provider. Services are provided by a licensed and certified speech-language pathologist and include collaboration with the family and other service providers.
We serve clients in schools, nursing facilities, and in their homes. We receive referrals from individual therapists, schools districts, special educators, client advocates, service coordinators, physicians, nursing homes, Regional Centers, and Independent Living Centers. Family members are also welcome to contact our clinic to get the referral process started.
We provide individualized assessments, training, treatment, and consultations for pediatric and adult clients presenting with congenital or acquired communication disorders that impede ability to effectively communicate with others.
The TheraCare Collaborative Approach
Evaluations and assessments are performed by a licensed and certified speech-language pathologist who specializes in augmentative and alternative communication. Other collaborative members may include occupational therapists, other speech-language pathologists, special educators, and more.
- Results – Many individuals have been enabled to overcome barriers in their day-to-day lives at home, in school, in the workplace, and in the community. A variety of alternative communication devices are available during assessment procedures and may be recommended for trial or extended use after the evaluation.
- Training – We recognize the importance of a comprehensive approach to AAC. User and caregiver commitments to follow-up are necessary to facilitate functional device usage across communication environments. For this reason, we offer a unique therapy program for AAC users and their support team. Our program is catered to the needs of each individual, but typically includes 6-8 follow-up therapy/training sessions constructed to provide functional communication opportunities for the user and programming support for caregivers.
Specialized training off-site for other members of the team can be arranged upon request.
Disclaimer: TheraCare Services and its employees do not have any financial relationship with, nor will receive any other gain from the manufacturer of any recommended devices or equipment.
Benefits of Music Therapy Services
Why does TheraCare utilize music therapy services? Here are some of the reasons:
- Multisensory - Musical interventions engage multiple senses and appeal to sensory strengths and needs.
- Fun, Safe, & Motivational - Music is appealing and enjoyable which makes it the perfect therapeutic medium! Instruments, live music, dancing, singing. So much fun can be had while working towards therapeutic goals!
- Socialization - Musical intervention goes hand in hand with social skills. Turn taking, peer interaction, direction following and engagement can all be addressed in a musical setting.
- Communication - Not only can music aid in speech development and production, it is the perfect medium to encourage and aid in non-verbal communication as well.
- Whole Brain Processing - Music is processed in both hemispheres of the brain. When engaged in musical tasks, many regions of the brain are stimulated simultaneously.
Orofacial Myology Services
Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders (OMD) include concerns related to abnormal resting postures and function of the oral and facial muscles. An atypical swallowing pattern, often referred to as “tongue thrust”, can be a result of these issues.
Although this sounds like a simple tongue problem, areas of difficulty with coordination and patterning include mastication (chewing), bolus formation/collection, and transport of the bolus posteriorly.
During this atypical swallowing pattern, the tongue will push forward against or between the teeth. When the tongue positions itself this way, it may have an adverse effect on the position of the dentition, craniofacial development, the orofacial soft tissue complex, and coordination patterns of all the associated musculature.
Contributing factors to OMDs
Contributing factors to OMDs may include upper airway obstruction (enlarged adenoids/tonsils, allergies, sinus obstruction), non-nutritive sucking habits (thumb/finger sucking, extended use of a sippy cup or pacifier, bruxing and clenching of the dentition and facial muscles, nail biting), tongue-tie, and abnormal shape or growth of the palate/roof of the mouth.
Tongue-tie is a condition where the lingual frenum is too restrictive, not allowing full range of motion and function. This restriction can cause dental, speech and skeletal changes (jaw and palate formation).
Who TheraCare Partners With
Due to the specialized nature of treatment for OMDs, we work closely with a variety of healthcare professionals. This may include: pediatricians, otolaryngologists, dentists, orthodontists, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, physical therapists, chiropractors, and allergists.
Feeding Therapy Services
The ability to eat is one of our most fundamental yet complex needs. If a child is having difficulty eating or is refusing to eat, it can impact all other areas of their life.
Our Feeding Clinic staff includes speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists that are passionate about determining the best treatment options to improve feeding and swallowing habits, as well as quality of life.
We often collaborate with physicians, dietitians, and other specialists to provide the most well-rounded treatment plan.
Our skilled feeding therapists provide treatment for:
- Fussy and/or Picky Eaters with overactive gag
- Sensory-Behavioral feeding concerns
- Poor weight gain or failure to thrive
- GI tract reconstruction surgeries
- Breastfeeding or bottlefeeding concerns
- Tongue tie or lip tie concerns
- Chewing and swallowing concerns
- Neurological disorders: related facial muscle weakness, low tone, spasticity, and cerebral palsy
- NG-tube or G-tube Feeders
- Cranio-facial anomalies such as cleft-lip and palate
School Contract Services
TheraCare offers contract services in public and private schools. Our team includes the following:
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Speech-Language Pathology Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Assistants
We can serve your school by providing some or all of the following services:
- Yearly screenings
- Assistance with testing, including Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE)
- Therapy services to cover a medical/maternity leave
- Ongoing therapy services for the entire school year
If there is a service that you are looking for but is not listed, please contact us and let us know how we can help.
We are available to connect via teletherapy for most services. Contact us today to learn more about how Teletherapy can benefit your child!